Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Smart Car


I recently was witness to an interesting presentation about the SmartCar. Now with gas prices and costs in general going up this is a promising concept for American drivers.

It is small, easy to park, but how practical is it? How many people can really use this on a regular basis?

While it is good for short trips in an urban environment, there are many downsides.

The engine is larger than I expected which means gas mileage doesn’t seem as high as one would think.

Safety is a big concern for such a small vehicle and they claim it has a very strong steel cage and is very safe. I however, would not trust it on the highway, even though I saw some cruising at 65mph just yesterday.

While the car doesn’t seem practical families, or trips a crossed town, it could be going in a good direction for Americans. The only problem is a good parking situation would require the majority of people to own these vehicles. I know I always have trouble parking in lots with a lot of large trucks.

While I saw this presentation in a marketing class which was a marketing ploy I’m sure, I’m talking about it so I guess it worked.

http://www.smartusa.com/

No comments: