Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Possums.......Everywhere

When one thinks of Texas, the lush, and green area of the Hill Country is not what comes to mind. I had no idea it existed until I moved to this part of the state being not from Texas. It is a surprising type of oasis and a much different place than anywhere else in the state.

Culturally Austin has a lot to offer with festivals and a lot of great live music no matter what your taste.

One thing I did not expect was possums. Growing up in Wisconsin I had seen one or two before. The landscape is similar to here, the weather is just a hell of a lot warmer.

When I moved into my new apartment in February, I wasn't concerned with the fact there were no screens on my windows, nor a screen door on my patio. When it got warm I didn't really see the harm in leaving the door open until maintainence got around to installing them.

I quickly learned that these possums were running rampid at night. Luckily I got a screen door put in. Soon after I was sitting in my apartment one night. I was only about a foot away from the door and a baby came right up to the screen and even touched his nose to it.

There was another incident lastweek when I was on the patio that one ran right past my leg. I just didn't expect them and I've had at least 5 sitings of possums since I've lived in Austin which has been 8 months.

No comments: